Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Life spent running

In the past, there have always been days that were busy and we spent them running back and forth. But since school started this year things have reached an all new level. I spend so much time in my van it's a little ridiculous.

One of the things about Brendan and Hailey's new school is that it is farther away, and that I now have a kindergartener again,  it really adds to the time spent running. The Charter school also has a pick up/ drop off lane. It's great because I don't even have to get out, but it fills up pretty quickly in the afternoon so Emery and I spend 20-30 minutes just sitting every afternoon. But this adds to the feeling that I spend my life in the van.  I love the both schools my kids are in though so it's worth the extra time.

Mondays are my easy day. It's good because I can get things in order to gear up for the rest of the week. Kayden and Carter have to be up too early each day. They quickly eat and dress, Corey drives them across town to school. (except when he is out of town and I have to wake everybody up to drive them across town. We did that just one day last week... it was not so fun).  I get Brendan ready and send him off. Then Hailey leaves after lunch. This is the time of day that saves me. Emery goes down for a nap and I have the house to myself. (I mostly just watch soaps and eat bon bons). I wake Emery from her nap and we leave to pick everybody up. The little kids at their school and the older boys at their bus stop. Carpooling just doesn't work in the afternoon since I have to pick up all my kids at once.  Like I said, Mondays are easy, thanks to good friends who are willing to carpool for the early runs.  I just make one run to get everyone at the end of the day. Carter doesn't usually have football either so we get to spend the evening at home together.

Tuesdays are a little more complicated. I take Brendan and my other cute carpool kids to school. Then later, I take Hailey plus 1 carpooler to kindergarten. I pick up my kids, plus one, at the end of the day. Homework, jobs, and anything else is quickly done. Some kind of early dinner is served, depending on when football practice starts. (football has really messed up dinner around here. I love it, but can't wait to have that time back). I leave with Carter to pick his football buddies and drop them off at practice. Get back home for Kayden to leave for scouts.

Wednesdays are not so bad either. I don't have to take Brendan in the morning and I don't drive to football. Kayden however does stay after school for an activity and takes a late bus home. So I add one trip to get him from the bus stop.

Thursdays I don't take Hailey to school, but we add in soccer. So once we get home from school, I send Brendan and Hailey right upstairs to change, give them a snack and we quickly do homework. I feed Carter something and leave him waiting for his ride to practice and we head to soccer. Once soccer is done we rush home for quick baths and then either Corey or I run to pick up the football crew.

I drive Brendan every other Friday morning, run Hailey, do the usual pickup and Carter has a quick practice. 

Of course, none of this includes the other things that pop up during the week. Like last week we had a school open house, a scout Court on Honor, and whatever else comes up.

I know I am not the only one doing this and my kids are not involved in that many things. In fact, there are a couple of more things I would like them to do. I write this mostly to record this time in our lives. And so I can remember what I am doing. I know that's just what moms do. And yes, I know that someday I will miss doing it and miss being involved in the things they are doing. Football will end, other activities will come and go, the schedule will change, but for now I guess I will just have get used to it. 

It sure doesn't make for good blogging though. I guess I could take pictures of Emery being loaded and unloaded from her car seat a dozen times a day. At least that is what it feels like, although she doesn't always find that so amusing. Especially when I have just woken her from a good nap.  And darn it, sometimes it interrupts my nap too.

4 comments:

Smith said...

I seriously wish I could just have a double of me that could just sit in the car while I go in and out to get everything and everyone. It sure would help the little guys out.

Chelsey said...

I want to see the unloading and loading pictures. Your life this year sounds like my life last year. This year is not so bad because all the kids are at the same school and Jordan rides his bike to football practice and I love it!!!! Can't wait to start the different schedules of jr. high and highschool in the coming years and the adding of other Riley's sports and activities to the mess that we already have. Seriously, our cars should be more plush for the amount of time spent there, right? Hard to resist those soap operas and bon bons, isn't it?

Chrissy said...

Ditto!! Glad to know I am not alone!!

Unguren said...

I hear you.
Laney is in preschool and I have to walk her inside the building to drop her off every day. It wouldn't be so bad except for I have to buckle and unbuckle Canon and Penny at least 4 times everyday...and most times I have Addi too so that is one more person to buckle and walk inside with me. We kind of look like a clown car.