Thursday, April 29, 2010

We're just not normal!!

My kids don't seem to catch just the common cold. Some examples are here, here, and here. So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when Hailey woke up this morning and she looked like this.

 So I got the boys out the door and headed to the doctor's office. He looked at her for a couple minutes and then told me that she would need to go to the hospital. He suspected it might be a type of abcess and may require surgery. I was totally shocked by that. ( I kind of forgot that sometimes my doctor tends to jump to the worse case scenario, he really likes to be cautious). He said that she would need a cat scan to get a better look at it.

I called Corey to meet us and headed to the ER. She did have to get some blood work and a IV, but she hardly complained. Of all the kids, she is by far the toughest. The other kids would have probably come unglued. She was even excited by the cat scan and told me how cool it was.

In the end, she has acute parotitus. Basically she has a infection, probably from a virus or possibly a staph infection, in the gland just below her ear. She had to have a course of IV antibiotics and will be on a pretty strong antibiotic for awhile. We will have to watch her, but I am sure she will bounce back quickly.

I am beginning to wonder what I am doing to my kids that brings on these weird things. Maybe we are just weird in general, who knows?!!

( looking a little tired after our long, eventful day)

9 comments:

Chelsey said...

Wow! That isn't normal! Hope she feels better. It makes me grateful for our great health.

thecustercrew said...

What a crazy day for you guys. We hope Hailey feels better soon:)

Kati said...

That's so crazy! I'm glad it's not anything more serious. Tell her I hope she gets feeling better soon.

Unguren said...

Man that sucks! It kinda sounds like our house. I swear we are always getting the weirdest sicknesses.

Melissa said...

Dang, that is kinda crazy! Our Dr. is great... but yes, he does seem to give you the worse case scenario first, huh! I'm glad he's cautious and all, but really, I could do with out the added drama sometimes. Hope she is feeling better quickly!

Amber said...

That looks horrid! I'm glad she's feeling okay though and I hope the antibiotics do the trick!

Rebecca said...

How odd! I'm glad it's nothing serious. Hope she gets some rest and feels better soon!

Kimber said...

I'm so sorry about all the drama! I just took a few pictures off your blog, so don't be alarmed. Also, thank you for the cute hair things you made for Daphne! I'd like to get a thank you card out to you eventually... same with birthdays.

Lara said...

Poor Hailey...I hope she feels better soon! Glad it wasn't too serious!