(My sweet baby before surgery-she had no idea what was coming, but you can really see the little lump in her nose.)
Early Monday morning we took Emery to the hospital for surgery to remove the little dermoid cyst in her nose. All went well and she is doing great. She has been her usual smiley self and acts like nothing happened. We did however not get the news we were hoping for. When we first found out about the dermoid, the doctor had told us that because it was so small and was hard to see on the MRI, that when he did surgery he may find more to it. He removed the cyst and there was a stalk attached to it, which is why she had a little dimple in her nose that would sometimes drain. But he said there is something more underneath her nasal bone. He didn't remove that because that would require much more extensive surgery and for now it is not any kind of a problem. He just wants her to have another MRI in 6 months to a year. Not really what we wanted to hear, but for now we won't worry about it. But she is truly the best baby and has not been bothered by any of it.
Now I am another story. The morning of the surgery, we had been up a lot of the night. Emery was of course, hungry, but couldn't eat and therefore didn't sleep great. We had to be there really early, I hadn't really eaten anything, and we had gotten the news from the doctor, so I wasn't really at the top of my game. When they came to get us to go back with Emery, I had prepared myself for what she would look like, but apparently not enough. She was still loopy, uncomfortable, and she was a little bloodier than I expected. I picked her up to nurse her and started to feel really nausiated. I looked at Corey and told him I didn't feel good so he could take the baby. The next think I remember is coming to on the floor. There was a sea of faces around me calling my name, an oxygen mask on my face, feeling so cold, and my chest was on fire. When I went down they couldn't find my pulse and had started chest compressions. ( I am still suffering from those, I felt like my chest had been run over by a semi). I was crying out, but was really struggling to grasp what happened. I can't even explain how weird it was. I was aware of my surroundings, but I was so weak I just couldn't even move. I was taken to the critical care emergency room. I slowly began to feel better, but of course, I was kept there all day. I had blood tests, urine tests, a chest x-ray, a cat scan, MRI, and an ultrasound of my heart. Thank goodness everything came back normal. The doctors believe it was a type of fainting episode where all your vital signs become almost undetectable. It was an extremely long day. And this whole time poor Emery had been left in the care of the day-surgery nurses. (Which they don't have enough practice with babies because when Corey brought her to me they had put her diaper and onesie on backwards, it was quite amusing). I had to stay in the hospital overnight and amost all of today so I could be on a heart monitor. I am so relieved that nothing was seriously wrong and I am so glad to be home. Yet at the same time the whole thing is quite humiliating and exhausting. Corey has told me that I am no longer allowed in the hospital and right now I am just fine with that.
On a lighter note, we did get some cute pictures of the kids in their Christmas clothes on Sunday.
16 comments:
Oh man. That is all I can say...Oh man. Oh and one more thing...Don't go into the light.
Lindsey! How horrible for everyone! I was just reading about how you found out about Emery's cyst. I remember that exact feeling of despair when we had a some medical issues with our second child, Peyton. It's a terrible feeling. I am so sorry you had to endure it. I'm glad Emery did so well with surgery. Little ones seem to just breeze through those kinds of things. Thank goodness. But what a scary thing for you, girl! I'm so glad you are home and feeling well and nothing major came of your episode. I can tell you one thing, the stress of your baby going into surgery...no matter how minor, can be a major strain on even the strongest of women. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for everyone and a wonderful, blessed Christmas!!
Wow! Jordan had a fainting episode similar to that when he was three. Almost the exact same thing that happened to you CPR, ambulance, ER tests and all. Glad it was only fainting.
Wow! Jordan had a fainting episode similar to that when he was three. Almost the exact same thing that happened to you CPR, ambulance, ER tests and all. Glad it was only fainting.
What a day you had! I'm so glad you and your sweet baby are ok. Man. You deserve a serious break. Hope you can take it easy over the holidays (if that's ever possible with five kids!). You really are superwoman.
And your kiddos look darling in their Christmas clothes. I LOVED all of your family pictures. Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family!
Holy cow Girly!!! So glad that everything went good with Emery, but dang... what was up with your little episode?!?! Scary! VERY glad to hear you are doing ok. What?!?!? Your baby having surgery wasn't dramatic enough for you?!?! :)
Lindsey!!! I can't believe that happened!! I am SO glad you are ok and that nothing worse happened. I am glad things we well with Emery. I am totally going to agree with Christene that any type of surgery on your little ones at any age is REALLY hard on you. We had to put Dallin through surgery at 8 months old, so we have been there. I am so glad you are doing better. If you need anything, please let me know!
I'm glad everything went well with Emery's surgery. What's up with your fainting? Don't worry, I do that every time I have a kid and one of the times it happened I was on the toilet with the nurses...talk about not having any dignity. Anyway, glad you're doing good. Call if you need help with anything.
Good Gravy Woman!!! What a day. I am glad to hear both of you are doing well. It is tough when things happen to your little ones. I always hated when my kids came out of surgery, because they are screaming and not very coherent when they come out of the anesthetic.
What you really need is a good visiting teacher :) Please let me know if you need anything.
Lindsey! You just need all the attention on you all the time!! :) That is so crazy/scary. I have passed out 20+ times in my life and never had something like that happen (I get queasy easily)! I am so glad you and Emery are ok. I have heard that having chest compressions done is super painful, so I hope you feel better soon. Let me know if you need anything!
You are right that is VERY dramatic! Glad you are well, and hopefully all of you will stay well for at least a little while! Have a great Christmas!
I totally wasn't expecting that second paragraph. I've passed out before, which in of and of itself isn't fun, but I didn't even know you could faint and your vital signs would go away. Scary. I'm glad you're ok. On a happier note, have a Merry Christmas!
That is horrible what you had to go through. I am glad you and your cute baby are okay. And I love their christmas outfits. Way cute!!
OH MY GOSH LINDSAY! I can't believe that happened! I'm so glad your all right. Not what you or your family needed on top of Emery's stuff. . . geeez.
HOLY COW LINDSEY! I cannot even believe that that happened to you. I'm so glad that everything turned out okay. But man. That's crazy.
You know, I think ever since your little "episode" you have seemed slightly MORE crazy... no, wait! That's not because of the "episode," it's because of a new year in primary. :) Glad you are OK.
Post a Comment