Monday, April 13, 2009

What a way to start the morning!!

Easter morning began with a little bit of excitement around our house. Sometime in the early morning, I was startled awake by the sound of the doorbell. I wasn't sure if I had really heard it or not, I had been in a really deep sleep, and neither the kids or Corey were disturbed by it. I went and just looked out the upstairs front windows, I thought that it was probably just punk kids, but I couldn't see anything so I just went back to bed. Well, about 5:30, I heard it again and this time Corey woke up too so I knew I hadn't just dreamed it. He went downstairs to check things out and I followed a few minutes after. He said he looked out the blinds in the front room and there was someone just sitting on our front bench smoking a cigarette. It wasn't anyone we knew, I began to feel a little creeped out. Corey said he would try to get him to leave, but I didn't want to even open the door. I thought we should just call the police. I called and went back upstairs to watch for them to come. Pretty soon one police car drove by, I guess he decided to call for backup before approaching the guy, because pretty soon another car pulled into the neighborhood. They approached the man and asked why he was there. He was so out of it. He wouldn't follow their instructions and wouldn't take his hands out of his pockets so the next thing I knew they were taking him down to the ground, breaking our bush along the way. Soon after another police car came flying around the corner with two more policeman. Once they got him to the ground and searched him. They did find a knife in his pocket and a switchblade in his backpack. This whole time my heart was racing. I was so glad Corey had not approached him, although Corey says he could have and would have taken him if he started anything. They lead the man out to the curb and searched all his stuff and found a little bit of drugs, not enough to test though and of all things, a laptop computer. They came to talk to us and since I was the one who actually made the phone call I had to talk to them and give them all my information. Of course, this was 5:30 in the morning, so I was looking my very best, and realized a few minutes into talking to them that I still had my Breathe Right nasal strip on my nose. ( I snore, I will admit that). LOVELY!! They did take him away for resisting arrest but couldn't get him for trespassing as we hadn't asked him to leave, and although nothing serious happened I was just a little creeped out by the whole thing. I was a little leary when I opened the front blinds this morning that I might find someone sitting there. After all that, we were pretty wide awake so there was no sense in going back to bed so we just decided to get on with the day.


Thankfully, the rest of the morning wasn't nearly as eventful. The boys got up and were upset that Hailey was still asleep and they couldn't go downstairs to see if the Easter Bunny had come to fill their baskets. Hailey eventually wandered out of bed, and they went down to hunt for eggs. It was a good Easter morning and we made to church on time. Barely though, because I was trying to get a good picture of the kids in their Easter clothes. Not a lot of luck on that though.

Happy Easter- 2009

7 comments:

Melissa said...

AHHH!! That is totally creepy!!! Glad you called the police instead of going out there yourself! What a rude awakening.

Rebecca said...

Holy Cow!!! I think that's the most bizarre Easter morning story I've seen so far. I'm glad all are safe. An experience like that would have freaked me out for the entire week.

Chelsey said...

Ah, the memories of Vegas and cops in your front yard arresting people. It makes me feel like Moses Lake is pretty safe even though they say the crime is pretty bad here. I haven't had any cops in my yard lately taking people down to the ground. How scary! Don't miss that one bit. Of course, I do miss the friends.

Shadoe said...

Well happy Easter to you. That is CRAZY!!! I love the breath right strip. You are way too funny!!! I love it.

Samantha said...

That's like our neighbor who was taken out by 2 SWAT teams early one morning. Only in Vegas!!!

The Ashby Family said...

So you don't have to go for a walk to get a little excitement in the mornings huh!

goldmania said...

We definitely had a boring weekend compared to yours, wow. how creepy. I have to agree that Corey could probably take him though. :)
We mostly see the fire engine. Way to go crime fighter super mom. :)Glad ya'll are ok.