One of the worst things about being a parent is potty training. Even though I have already potty trained three boys, I really feel like I still have no idea what I am doing. I have tried many different things and asked a lot of people for advice. I just really think that each kid is so different that each time you do it the method becomes different.
I decided this past Monday I would try with Hailey. I knew she was capable and certainly old enough. So I filled a jar with potty treats, bought fun underwear, and was stocked with fluids for the offering.
We spent a lot of time that day trying to drink enough to give her plenty of opportunity and spent an even greater amount of time in the bathroom reading books, singing, and conversing about Kung Fu Panda. We had some success and some accidents, but continued on. She would go on the toilet about as many times as she would have accidents.
Yesterday, she got up and went potty, but I had to go to the doctor so I put a diaper on so we would not have to worry about accidents. When I got home she was still dry, but didn't need to go, so I just left the diaper on until the next trip to the bathroom. Well, she kept that diaper dry all day. I have always been of the opinion that diapers, pull-ups, etc. don't work and that it's just better to go straight to underwear, but like I said each kid is different. Hailey certainly is. Today, it has been the same, the diaper has been dry and she continues to go on the potty. Weird. If I had put the underwear on she would have wet through it, as she had all week. I just think that is so backwards!! It just proves my theory that they each require their own method, the method that they choose.
Well, we are certainly not home free, but enough progress has been made that we can't go back now, so we will continue to continue on. Oh the joys of motherhood!!
Little pregnacy update:
As I mentioned before, I went for my monthly appointment yesterday. All is well. I even lost two pounds, I am totally fine with that. However, last month I was measuring 3 weeks ahead and now I am still measuring 2 1/2 weeks ahead. Now, I am worried about how big this baby will end up being. Also, given my history of progressing a little early, the doctor told me to use common sense and just be cautious from here on out. Basically not over do it and maybe take a nap each day and not spend a lot of time on my feet.
Easier said than done-although the nap thing, I think I could handle that.
3 comments:
For sure on the nap! I totally agree about each child being so different. :) I love reading your BLOG. Keep posting!
-Amberly
I SOOOOOOO hate potty training. It's the bane of my existence. Ben still, 6 months later, refuses to do number 2 on the potty and now I'm starting Josh, though slowly. I think the idea of having to potty train another child is the best birth control ever... too bad I'm already pregnant.
I'm glad all is going well with the pregnancy. Be a good girl and do as the doctor says so all will continue well.
I just realized...how am I suppose to get my walk on if the Dr. told you to take it easy? I have no self motivation...man!
Post a Comment