I am not a camper, to say the very least. I don't enjoy getting dirty and sleeping out in the cold. But several months ago, Corey's dad drew out for the elk hunt (I'm definetly not a hunter either, but I guess this is a really big deal because the hunt is so limited, only 11 people drew out for it) and really wanted everyone to come and make it a family campout. I knew my kids would have the best time and have not been camping very much, so reluctantly, I agreed to go. Friday we packed up and headed out to meet up with everybody, we were kind of in a rush to get there and get set up before dark, but we did it-barely. The place where we camped was really nice, but the dirt was like fine powder- everytime you stepped dust clouds went everywhere. I'm not kidding when I say my kids were covered head to toe in dust and dirt

.



These pictures don't even do it justice- These were taken when they were reasonably clean. But they had the best time. They had all their cousins to play with and they could just run free. They built a fort and they would play for hours there and only turn up when they were hungry and would crash at night because they had played so hard.
There was a small mountain just north of where we were,Carter was dying to hike it and kept saying how he wanted to get to the top of it, and I just kept thinking that he didn't realize how high it really was. But Corey took the boys and thought he would let them see how far they could go.

They set off and I was shocked a little while later when I spotted the orange spots moving through the trees and they were really high up the mountain. They made it as far as they could before it was just too steep and then came back down-I was so surprised that Brendan kept up the whole way. They were so proud when they got back to camp, they had filled their pockets with flint and rocks they'd found (which ended up in the wash) and had some practice with the BB gun along the way-gotta pass off scouting stuff some how!
This was their view from the top

When we were packing up to go home, the kids were just begging to stay another day, and I actually wished we could just because they were enjoying themselves so much, but I really was looking forward to a long, hot shower. I just wish camping wasn't such a mess to clean up from. I think I did six loads of laundry yesterday and there was so much dirt in the bathtub. I hate to say it, but I think even after all that, we will have to try to go a little more often.
8 comments:
YAY!! I love camping- it's so good for kids to get outside without distractions. The really good moms take them. ;)
I love camping also but I think I love it the way it was when I was a kid and didn't have to get everything ready. I love being in the mountains, having a campfire, cooking over the campstove, and relaxing by the river. It's the packing up, setting up the tent, and then unpacking I don't like. I don't even mind the dirt and insect spray because nothing beats a hot shower after camping.
How fun. Wish we were there. My kids would've had a blast. It's a pain to clean up but what isn't? :) What fun memories when your kids grow up.
OK so that amazes me that YOU let your kids get that dirty! LOL Anyway at least the kids had fun and thats what parenting is about THEM!!! I didnt go camping this year and I am getting to the point were I would rather have a nice trailer to a tent. With running water.
Where were you guys at? Did he get his elk?
I'm with you, I don't camp, but I have somehow been talked into the Ward campout. The boys are so excited, so hopefully it will be fun. Will you be going camping for a second weekend in a row?? :)
I may be crazy but at first I couldn't figure out why they were all wearing matching orange outfits. Then it clicked...hunting.
it's so fun to see your kids. Your little girl is so big! I'm so proud of you to let your kids get dirty. That's not the Lindsey I know!
Wow, Look what happens to you when you move to the big CITY, You become City Slickers. Glad you took those poor poor boys of yours out where they belong. ALL boys belong in the dirt!!!!!
I went out last weekend to help Uncle Les and we had a great time. Sorry I couldn't get there the same weekend you were there. It would have been so much fun to have been able to tourcher you. J/K
Check us out on our blog.
Jeff
Post a Comment