Monday, February 4, 2013

Time just keeps ticking away

Another week has flown by. We did a lot, but at the same time nothing too exciting. I was able to get my scout stuff done, for now, and Emery and I even were able to spend quite a few days at home. I like it that way, but she gets bored really quick and is always begging to go somewhere. ALWAYS. Smith's and Target are her two most common requests. Or McDonalds.  She is definitely not the homebody that I am. It seems we are always running somewhere, speech, gymnastics, swimming, scouts, or where ever so I love the down time we can sneak in here and there. I managed to get a few things crossed off my to do list and even though she was protesting our time spent in, she was extra tired and fell asleep in my lap twice in the afternoons. That just never happens and I kinda just loved it 
When you are stuck on the couch with a little one asleep on your lap, you might as well enjoy it and take in a little reading time. 

I am currently reading
A mystery thriller. I can't put it down. It's our current book club choice.  Although I was right in the middle of an intense part the other night, Hailey had gotten out of bed and I didn't hear her come up next to me and she scared me to death. She sent me jumping off the couch. These kind of books do that to me, but it's been so good. 


This book came up on my recommended reading through amazon and was a sale for the month so I gave it a try. At first I wasn't sure if I would like it. The first chapter I kept wondering how the story was going to make a whole book, but then it did, and it was good. Another historical fiction about a family and their struggles to make it together.  It takes a portion of each characters story and you get to see how each story overlaps with other characters and how they come together. I loved it by the end. 



(This book is a movie, which I didn't know until I was reading it, and I didn't notice that I downloaded the movie poster instead of the book cover, but I am not messing with it now.) 
I feel like I learned so much from this book. A culture that I knew nothing about. It was just so interesting. I knew nothing of a Geisha except for just hearing the word. That's what I love about books, they can take you so many places and you learn so many things. It really was fascinating and eye opening.


Last months book club selection was "If I Stay".
It was a good quick read. It has a interesting perspective, it's told through the eyes of a girl in a coma.  I went right through it in a few days and then went straight into the sequel. It picks up 3 years later and is told through the boyfriend's perspective.  It was even better. They are quick reads. The only downside is some of the language and it's just not necessary. 


This was another book/ series that I had heard a lot about. It didn't disappoint. I really enjoyed it and would be perfect for tween/ teen girls too. The story of a young princess sent to another kingdom, but conspiracy takes place along the way and she is forced to start her life anew while planning to take back her former life.  I am planning on reading more books from the series and the author. 

Another book club selection was this...
The author is a friend of mine. I was planning on reading it anyway, but our mutual friend, who is in my book club, chose it for her month. She even invited Christene to our monthly meeting to talk about the book. It was so fun to see her, catch up, and chat about her book. It's a fun, clean love story. I look forward to reading more of her books in the future.

Now what to read next? Any recommendations?

6 comments:

Samantha said...

Yes! I love book recommendations! I also thought memoirs of a geisha was SO interesting. Also, if you liked goose girl, you'd like daughter of the forest. It has a similar story line, but its not young adult, so it's meatier. I loved it way more, and thought goose girl was a watered down version of it. Plus it has a few great sequels.

Chelsey said...

I wish I had that kind of time to read. I'm getting so little reading in lately that I feel behind. Kenzie loved all the Goose girl series. I read book 1 and liked it and have considered reading the rest. I am currently reading My AntonĂ­a VERY SLOWLY.

grandma race said...

Is your friend Christene Houston's book available for Kindle?

grandma race said...

Is your friend Christene Houston's book available for Kindle?

Jaime Lynne said...

Try Shannon Hale's Princess Academy series, if you haven't already. Loved it. And I also enjoyed Julie Kagawa's Iron King series. It's fantasy with a strong heroine and clever plot twists. You know I am always good for a book recommendation. And I love that Emery fell asleep in your lap.

Jaime Lynne said...

Try Shannon Hale's Princess Academy series, if you haven't already. Loved it. And I also enjoyed Julie Kagawa's Iron King series. It's fantasy with a strong heroine and clever plot twists. You know I am always good for a book recommendation. And I love that Emery fell asleep in your lap.